- “You Lied, Supreme Court Ordered You to Pay N6b in 14 Days” Innoson Tells GTB
- OBASANJO: Why I Dumped the Coalition
- BREAKING NEWS: Obasanjo Quits as Coalition Collapses into Political Party
- Police Inspector Dies in Abeokuta Lone Accident
- 12 Die, 8 Injured on Lagos /Ibadan Express Auto Crash
- BREAKING: Immigration to Begin Issuance of International Passport in Sagamu
- Ogun govt. to Build 20,000-Capacity Amphitheater for Drum Festival
- Nurses Can Establish Maternity Homes – HMB Director
- 2019 Guber Election : Ogun West Elders’ Council Plans Political Stakeholders.Summit
- 2018 African Drums Festival Kicks off in Abeokuta
Ogun Lawmaker Canvasses for Scrapping of Ministry of Forestry for Non-performance
Mr Adeyemi Harrison, the Chairman, Ogun House Committee on Agriculture and Forestry, has called on the government to scrap the State Ministry of Forestry for non – performance and make it an agency under Ministry of Agriculture.
Harrison who disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Abeokuta, said that the 2017 budget performance of the Ministry of Forestry was very poor with no meaningful achievement for the whole year.
The lawmaker stated that for the state forest reserves to come back to live, the management and control of the forest reserves should be under the ministry of Agriculture.
He noted that the ministry had failed to manage and sustain the nine forest reserves in the state, saying that a lot of illegalities were being perpetrated in the reserves.
” The money spent to cater for the ministry was a waste, the ministry should be scrapped and return as an agency under ministry of Agriculture.
“Have been saying it before now, I don’t see ministry of forestry as a viable ministry that the state suppose to invest on . In the whole country, we only have ministry of forestry in Ogun State.
“From the 2018 budget proposal presented to the House by the Ministry’s commissioner, most of the lawmakers believed that ministry of forestry should be an agency under ministry of Agriculture.
“If we look at the situation of the nine forest reserves in the state today, all the reserves are nothing to write home about. The forest ministry is not capable to stand on its own.
“Right from time, the ministry is an agency under agriculture and the forest reserves in the state were well managed
“I can say it boldly that the ministry is involved in illegalities and have also succeeded in mismanaging the government reserves, “he said.
Harrison noted that he was not convinced with the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) presented by the ministry to have generated in 10 months, saying that the ministry generated more than that from what he said he gathered from a reliable source.