- OBASANJO: Why I Dumped the Coalition
- BREAKING NEWS: Obasanjo Quits as Coalition Collapses into Political Party
- Police Inspector Dies in Abeokuta Lone Accident
- 12 Die, 8 Injured on Lagos /Ibadan Express Auto Crash
- BREAKING: Immigration to Begin Issuance of International Passport in Sagamu
- Ogun govt. to Build 20,000-Capacity Amphitheater for Drum Festival
- Nurses Can Establish Maternity Homes – HMB Director
- 2019 Guber Election : Ogun West Elders’ Council Plans Political Stakeholders.Summit
- 2018 African Drums Festival Kicks off in Abeokuta
- Prison Reforms : NGO Donates Mosque to Juvenile Prison in Ogun
Ogun 2019 : Appoint Politicians, not Technocrats When You Become Governor – Women Group tells Adekunbi
The All Progressive Congress (APC) women leaders in Ogun East Senatorial district of the state have advised the Speaker, Ogun Assembly, Mr Suraj Adekunbi, to appoint qualified politicians, and not technocrats when he becomes the state governor in 2019.
The women leaders who declared that they would mobilise all women in Ogun east to support the gubernatorial aspiration of the speaker, said that dedicated politicians deserved to be in government.
The group spoke on Thursday in Ago – Iwoye, Ijebu North local government area of the state while playing host to the speaker and his entourage who were on a visit to the women leaders.
Speaking on behalf of the group , Mrs Oyinkansola Cole, representing Odogbolu local government, stated that women and politicians were often neglected when it was time for appointments by government.
Oyinkansola said women should not be cheated but given due representation in government, stressing that when eventually elected in 2019, the speaker should not neglect Ogun east in his projects.
“Use politicians in your government and not technocrats. We have people that are qualified among us, we have masters degree holders, we have graduates, we don’t want people that we don’t know, ” she said.
Responding, Adekunbi , appreciated the women leaders for the support given to the present administration led by Gov. Ibikunle Amosun.
The speaker, a gubernatorial aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives
Congress (APC) stated that if given the mandate in 2019, he would consolidate on the achievement of the present government.
He added that the impact of women was very key in determining the success of any government, saying that his visit was to inform the women leaders in Ogun east of his intention to contest in 2019.
“There is need for continuity, we all have the right to aspire but I believe am the best aspirant because have been in government and there is need to ensure sincerity of purpose.
“I seek your support for Ogun West. I want to contest for governorship in 2019. I am a man of pedigree and competent.
“All our efforts in this government must go beyond 2019. Am a loyal, committed party member and I need your support to be the candidate of our party, ” he said.
Adekunbi assured that under his government, special preference would be given to women.