Four arrested for allegedly killing police officer in Ogun


The Ogun police command said it had arrested four men  in connection with the death of a policeman , Agada Akoh, who was beaten to death at Dalemo area of Sango Ota on September 13. 

Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi,  the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) disclosed this in a statement issued in Abeokuta on Monday. 

Oyeyemi gave the suspects name as Jelili Ismaila , 22, Amidu Bankole ,34, Elijah Samson ,36, and Moses Proboye ,34 years. 

The PPRO explained that they were apprehended following an information received by the police at Sango division at about 9:30pm  that a policeman had been beaten to coma by some hoodlums at Dalemo bus stop.

He added that  the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) , Godwin Idehai quickly led his men to the scene where he met the policeman in the pool of his own blood.

“The officer was quickly rushed to the General Hospital, Ota for medical care but died  while receiving treatment.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased officer and one other escorted their principal from Idah in Kogi state to Lagos state.

“On  their way passing through Sango Ota, a truck driver Jelili Ismaila drove dangerously and almost push their vehicle off road. 

“While trying not to hit the vehicle conveying the officers, the truck entered a pothole as a result of which its tyre got punctured.

“This made the two policemen to come down and cautioned the truck driver to always be mindful of other road users.

“But the driver accused them of being at fault thereby mobilising hoodlums who attacked the officers and their principal with dangerous weapons and beat the deceased to coma.

“Having realised that the policeman may not survive the attack, the driver and his hired hoodlums took to their heels but luck ran out of four of them when the DPO and his men on a tip off stormed their hideout and got them arrested while the others escaped,” the PPRO said. 

The state police spokesman stated that the remains of the deceased officer had been deposited at the General Hospital, Ota mortuary.

He added that the state Commissioner of Police , Edward Ajogun , described the incident as barbaric and act of lawlessness.

He said that the CP  had ordered a massive manhunt for the remaining suspects while also warned that unwarranted attack on his men would not be accepted. 

He, therefore, directed that the arrested suspects be transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for an in-depth  investigation and deligent prosecution.

Leave a Response