- BREAKING: Immigration to Begin Issuance of International Passport in Sagamu
- Ogun govt. to Build 20,000-Capacity Amphitheater for Drum Festival
- Nurses Can Establish Maternity Homes – HMB Director
- 2019 Guber Election : Ogun West Elders’ Council Plans Political Stakeholders.Summit
- 2018 African Drums Festival Kicks off in Abeokuta
- Prison Reforms : NGO Donates Mosque to Juvenile Prison in Ogun
- Expect More Laws to Protect the Environment , Ogun Assembly tells Residents
- ‘Third Force’ Accuses APC, PDP of Playing Games with the Lives of Nigerians
- ‘Relax, We are Working to Prevent Statewide Flooding’
- Aspirant Backs IBB’s Call for Youths’ Participation in Politics
Customs Officers Shoot, Injure Pregnant Woman in Ogun
A pregnant woman, identified as Olugunna Bukola was on Thursday shot by operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service at the Iyana-Iyesi area of Ota in Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State.
The victim who is said to be eight months pregnant and a staff of Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company was shot on her way to work.
According to an eyewitness who spoke to Punch, The woman was hit by stray bullets on her back and the left side of her body.
He said, the woman was rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment adding that the customs officials who shot the pregnant woman were later arrested by policemen attached to Onipanu Divisional headquarters, Ota, and taken to Sango police station.
Confirming the incident, The Public Relations Officer of the State Customs Area Command, Abdullahi Maiwada,told Punch that the woman was only ‘brushed by stray bullets’ and not hit.
Maiwada said Customs operatives were on the trail of a suspected smuggled vehicle and not rice as claimed, hen they were mobbed by some ‘unpatriotic members of the public.’
“The officers were on a trail of a suspected smuggled vehicle and in the process, they were mobbed by some unpatriotic members of the public.
“The officers were left with no option than to shoot repeatedly into the air, and in the process, the said woman was brushed by a stray bullet.
“The Customs officers were in police station for safety to avoid mob attack not the insinuation that they were arrested by the police.”
Recall that, an official of the Nigerian Customs Service (NSC) on Wednesday allegedly shot a man dead at Oko-Oba area of Lagos State.