- Seven Burnt to Death in Multiple Accidents on Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Obasanjo Registers as CNM Member in Abeokuta
- Labour Party Factional Leaders Drag National Chairman, Arabambi, Adebutu, others to Court
- Stakeholders Suggest Indepth Findings as Solution to Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes
- Crave for Money by Politicians hinders Development in Nigeria – Adegbuyi
- Ogun Customs Command Impounds Goods Worth N67m In 2 Weeks
- Herdsmen Attack Farm in Owode, Destroy N6.8m Worth of Farm Produce
- No battle against Amosun govt, says Ogun NUJ Chairman
- Biodun Owolabi Emerges Labour Party Chairman in Ogun
- DPR Seals up Five Filling Stations in Sango-Ota
‘I Injured my Maid with hot Knife Because She ate my Bread’
The Ogun State Police Command has arrested one Yewande Gbadebo for allegedly using hot knife to inflict injuries on the body of her 17 year old housemaid, Janet, who she alleged to have eaten bread in the home without her approval.
The arrest of the suspect, who worked at Community Health Centre in Erunbe located in Abeokuta South Local Government area of the state, was facilitated by Committee for Defence on Human Rights (CDHR), Ogun State Chapter following a tip off about the incident.
The Chairman of the Human Rights, Olayinka Folarin in company of another official of Child Protection Network(CPN),on Wednesday traced the suspect to her shop in Iberekodo area of Abeokuta, but was said not to be available, hence, resolved to hand over the maid(victim) to the police.
However, the development later led to the arrest of the 32 year old mother of two, and subsequently taken to the Anti- Human Trafficking unit of the Police Command where on interrogation confessed to have committed the crime.
The Benue State born victim, Janet was said to have been staying with the woman as maid for over three years, and not allowed or given opportunity of attending school nor engaged in any artisan training.
The suspect who resident in Imala area of Abeokuta, in Abeokuta North Local Government told her interrogators that, she used the hot knife in threatening the victim, and never thought the damage on her body could be so severe.
Gbadebo who is a beneficiary of the N-Power, Federal Government scheme, confessed to the police that, she got the maid through a suspected child trafficker in Osogbo town of Osun State
Further findings revealed that, after inflicting injuries on the maid, she also warned her not to tell anybody, what she went through in regards the severe punishment, but neighbours started suspecting foul play when she (maid) was noticed with pain expression on her face and not walking well as she is used to.
Number of neighbours who spoke with our correspondent described the arrest of the woman as long overdue, and the exposure of maltreatment of the maid, as a good relief and opportunity for her to come out from bondage.
When contacted, Ogun State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi confirmed the incident and subsequent arrest of the suspect, adding that on completion of investigation, the suspect will be taken to court.