- Seven Burnt to Death in Multiple Accidents on Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Obasanjo Registers as CNM Member in Abeokuta
- Labour Party Factional Leaders Drag National Chairman, Arabambi, Adebutu, others to Court
- Stakeholders Suggest Indepth Findings as Solution to Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes
- Crave for Money by Politicians hinders Development in Nigeria – Adegbuyi
- Ogun Customs Command Impounds Goods Worth N67m In 2 Weeks
- Herdsmen Attack Farm in Owode, Destroy N6.8m Worth of Farm Produce
- No battle against Amosun govt, says Ogun NUJ Chairman
- Biodun Owolabi Emerges Labour Party Chairman in Ogun
- DPR Seals up Five Filling Stations in Sango-Ota
Police Kill Wanted DPO Shooter on Xmas Day
The Ogun Police command on Tuesday, said it had shot dead a member of armed robbery gang who shot and injured the former DPO in Ogbere, Mr Adeyinka Akingbade.
According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi (pictured), the wanted armed robber was shot dead during an encounter with police operatives at Ijebu ife on Christmas day.
Oyeyemi explained that the suspect who escaped arrest and fled to Delta state after shooting the DPO had been on the wanted list and the command had been on his trail since then.
He said luck however ran against him on Christmas day when police operatives received an information that he was sighted in a beer parlour at Itawade area of Ijebu ife.
“Upon the information, the policemen swiftly moved to the place, but before getting there, he has left the place.
“He was however traced to his in-law’s house where the police operatives caught up with him. Having realized that the game is up, he brought out a pistol and started firing at the policemen.
“The operatives were left with no other alternative than to fire back consequence upon which he was shot dead.
“Recovered from him are a locally made pistol, a matchet, assorted charms and a Toyota Highlander with two different registration numbers, ” he said.
Ogun Today recalled that the former DPO ogbere was shot and seriously injured by the gang during one of their robbery operation at itele ijebu where the DPO had gone to engage them in gun battle.
The injured officer is still recuperating in the hospital till date.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmed Iliyasu, had commended the resilience of his men in making sure that the last member of the gang was finally brought down.
He noted that this was a warning signal to any would be criminal that no crime committed in Ogun state would go undetected.