- Police Arrest Man for Allegedly Raping, Killing Corps Member in Ogun
- Ogun 2019 : Appoint Politicians, not Technocrats When You Become Governor – Women Group tells Adekunbi
- Ogun Govt. Loses N5bn Monthly to Illegal Toll Collectors -Amosun
- Ogun Speaker Lauds Journalists for Promoting Good Governance, Receives Media Friendly Award
- “Free Education Policy is Outdated, Irrelevant in 21st Century”
- Unemployment: Cleric to Provide 100 Youths With Capital for Business Setup in Ogun
- 2018 Budget Proposal Scales Second Reading at Ogun Assembly
- Broadcast Journalists Association Celebrates World TV Day, Evaluates Role of Electronic Media in Development
- Amosun Presents N345.4bn 2018 Budget to Ogun Assembly
- BREAKING NEWS: Top Awori Socio-Cultural Organization Endorses Yayi for 2019
Ogun PDP Holds State Congress
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun on Saturday held its state congress to elect new leaders for the party in the state.
A correspondent of Ogun Today who monitored the exercise at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta reports that the congress was peaceful.
Ogun Today reports that the exercise which was conducted by the PDP National Caretaker Committee through the five-member state congress committee was also monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
The chairman of the state congress committee, Mr Eddie Olafeso, in his opening remarks said that the PDP National Caretaker committee had directed that the state caretaker committee should hands off the exercise and allowed his committee to conduct the congress.
He explained that the conduct of the congress was in line with the provisions of the PDP constitution and described the exercise as the first step to victory for the party in the 2019 governorship election in the state.
A total of 31 leaders were elected as the new state executive committee members with Mr Sikirulai Ogundele emerging as the chairman.
Ogun Today reports that the congress was, however, shunned by the party’s governorship flagbearer in 2011 and 2015 general elections, Prince Gboyega Nasiru Isiaka and the senator representing Ogun East Senatorial district, Buruji Kashamu.
Ogundele who addressed newsmen after the exercise commended the organisers for the peaceful conduct, saying that it was devoid of rancour.
He gave assurance that he would run an open administration and reach out to all aggrieved members of the party to reunite and strengthen PDP in Ogun.
“I to thank the Almighty God that has made it possible for us to have a very successful state congress.
“My emergence, no doubt will bring all aggrieved memberswith one grouse or the other back to the party and I see this congress putting an end to the problems of PDP in Ogun
“Having emerged as the chairman, of PDP in Ogun, I intend to run an open government and open party administration.
“We will run an all inclusive and a united PDP, government that will encourage members of other parties to join the PDP.
“We intend to extend hand of fellowships to members that are aggrieved and also to extend hand of goodwill to members of other parties and I don’t have any doubt in my mind that we will put an end to the government of the All Progressive Congress in Ogun,” he said.
A chieftain of the party, Hon. Ladi Adebutu who is representing Remo Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives, told newsmen that PDP had forgot the pains of the past and had become united in the state.
He gave assurance that PDP would emerge as the ruling party in the 2019 governorship elections in the state and would provide a good administration with humane policies and devoid of falsehood in Ogun.