- OBASANJO: Why I Dumped the Coalition
- BREAKING NEWS: Obasanjo Quits as Coalition Collapses into Political Party
- Police Inspector Dies in Abeokuta Lone Accident
- 12 Die, 8 Injured on Lagos /Ibadan Express Auto Crash
- BREAKING: Immigration to Begin Issuance of International Passport in Sagamu
- Ogun govt. to Build 20,000-Capacity Amphitheater for Drum Festival
- Nurses Can Establish Maternity Homes – HMB Director
- 2019 Guber Election : Ogun West Elders’ Council Plans Political Stakeholders.Summit
- 2018 African Drums Festival Kicks off in Abeokuta
- Prison Reforms : NGO Donates Mosque to Juvenile Prison in Ogun
AARE ONA KANKANFO: Kenny Bello Felicitates With Gani Adams
A House of Reps aspirant in Ogun state, Hon. Kenny Bello has congratulated Otunba Gani Adams on his appointment as the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalissimo) of Yorubaland.
The Alaafin of Oyo, His Imperial Majesty, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III had on Sunday declared the National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) as the successor to the late MKO Abiola who was the 14th Generalissimo.
According to Hon. Bello, the appointment of Adams was a honour well deserved considering his commitments over the years to the upliftments of the Yoruba race.
“I am not surprised Otunba Adams was declared as the next Generalissimo of our great race, the Yoruba race. His activities over the years, have proven that indeed the OPC leader can lead the Yoruba nation in that capacity.
“His heroic demonstration and definitive stand in matters concerning every and any Yoruba person anywhere in the world could only be commended by such appointments” Hon. Bello said.
The United States based businessman turned politician also charged Otunba Adams not to relent in his promotion and protection of the interests of the Yoruba race.
He said: “The reward for hard work is more work. Now that he has been so honoured, he should not see it as an opportunity to relent in his efforts. Rather, he should strive to do more now than ever before”.
The position of the Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalissimo), head of Yoruba warriors has been vacant since the demise of Abiola in 1998, while in military incarceration.
The Aare Ona Kakanfo is a very significant position in Yorubaland. The title-holder was in charge of the security of the old Oyo Empire, as generalissimo of all armies in Yorubaland, and was charged with protecting the empire against external attacks. By virtue of his position, he was a king of sorts, and as such never resided in the same town with the Alaafin Oyo, the appointing authority.