- DPR Seals up Five Filling Stations in Sango-Ota
- I’m Still In The Race For Next Ogun Governor -Paseda
- Ogun Reunites 64 Libya Returnees With Relatives
- NNL, Nationwide League Clubs to hold Pre-season tournament in Ogun
- Customs Officers Shoot, Injure Pregnant Woman in Ogun
- Amosun Charges Journalists on Nigeria’s Unity
- Ogun Journalists Kick Against State Sponsored Media Seminar
- “2019 : Adebutu is Planning to hijack our Party” -Labour Party Cries
- 2019: Ogun Speaker Announces Intention to Contest for Governor
- 13 Years After, Obasanjo Vists Stella’s Family
Ogun Govt. Prepares for Bird Flu, Activates Control Measures
The Ogun State government has activated bird flu control measures at a breeder poultry farm, located at Orile-Ilugun in Odeda Local Government Council Area (Ilugun LCDA).
According to the Commissioner for Agriculture, Mrs. Adepeju Adebajo, the government took the proactive steps to prevent the spread of Avian Influenza, also known as bird flu, which was discovered on the farm.
She said the ministry had visited the farm on September 7, to carry out disease surveillance activities, with the intention of curtailing any potential spread of the virus.
“The causative agent was found to be H5N8, which is a variant of the H5N1 virus, that was previously known to exist in Nigeria”, Adebajo said.
She however disclosed that there is no cause for alarm, as no live bird from other poultry farms in the state had tested positive to the highly pathogenic bird flu.
According to her, samples of birds taken from another poultry farm in the Local Government Area of the state had tested negative to the H5N8 virus.
“Other farms and markets in Abeokuta, Ijebu Ode, Ilaro and Ayetoro were not left out,” she added.
The last reported incidence of bird flu in Ogun State occurred in Oct 2015.