- 5 Lawmakers Defect In Ogun
- Mother Of 5 Dies After Marathon Sex With Lover
- Police Arrest Landlord Who Led Gang To Rob Neighbour
- 2019 : Ambassador Felix Osakwe Receive Akran’s Royal Blessing
- NYSC, Ogun govt. Pay Visit To Recovering Accident Victims In OOUTH
- Tanker Motor Boy Killed In Sagamu/Benin Expressway Auto-crash
- Saraki Visits Obasanjo, Keeps Mum On NASS’s Reconvening Date
- Ogun : Police Arrest Ex – Convict , Accomplice Over Stolen Truck
- Saraki Fires Back , Says Oshiomole Behaving Like Rain-Beaten Chicken
- “Mr Latin ‘’ Identifies Discipline, Integrity As Virtues For Success
FG Urged to Promote Culture Through Tourism to Boost Nation’s Economy
The traditional Prime minister of Ota in Ogun, Chief Clement Akinyemi said tourism has the potential of becoming Nigeria’s biggest money earner only if the federal Government invested more in the sector.
Akinyemi expressed the opinion at the 2017 Memorial Annual Itesiwaju Asa Egungun Festival on Monday in Ota, Ogun.
He however, said that FG needed to fully diversify the nation’s economy and invest more in the tourism sub-sector to maximally derive the accruing economic benefit for sustainable development.
According to him, tourism is a money spinning channel through which the federal government can generate huge revenue for the country.
He said that if properly energized, the sector could become a avenue through which the different rich culture and customs across the country could gain international recognition.
He opined that Egungun was one of such tourism potentials the country could earn foreign exchange from, if all militating encumbrances were removed.
The traditional prime minister added that it coould also act as source of employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state.
“We need to promote our culture locally and international because that is only what we have have: It is also our our pride as a nation. “he said.
Akinyemi therefore urged the people to embrace and promote our cultural heritages, saying “this is what our ancestors have given us”.
He noted that the state government could collaborate with the Ministry of Information to widely promote the tourism sector through our culture and customs of the people.
Mr Dayo Arogunmola, founder of Itesiwaju Asa Egungun, said that the foundation, inaugurated in 2016, was to create a platform for key sector players in the Yoruba Egungun Heritage to display their works.
Arogunmola added that it was also a platform for the preservation of standards in the Yoruba Egungun Festival.
He said that Egungun festival was the promotion of the raw African and traditional heritage of the Yoruba people.
“The festival is one that brings to bear the cultural pride and traditional legacy of the Yoruba because many people have lost their communal identities because of globalisation. “he said.
Arogunmola noted that China remained great today because they had stucked with their cultural uniqueness.