- “You Lied, Supreme Court Ordered You to Pay N6b in 14 Days” Innoson Tells GTB
- OBASANJO: Why I Dumped the Coalition
- BREAKING NEWS: Obasanjo Quits as Coalition Collapses into Political Party
- Police Inspector Dies in Abeokuta Lone Accident
- 12 Die, 8 Injured on Lagos /Ibadan Express Auto Crash
- BREAKING: Immigration to Begin Issuance of International Passport in Sagamu
- Ogun govt. to Build 20,000-Capacity Amphitheater for Drum Festival
- Nurses Can Establish Maternity Homes – HMB Director
- 2019 Guber Election : Ogun West Elders’ Council Plans Political Stakeholders.Summit
- 2018 African Drums Festival Kicks off in Abeokuta
Ogun Clinch 2 Gold, 2 Bronze Medals at International Badminton Champ
The Ogun State counterpart in the just concluded Ivory Coast and Republic of Benin International Badminton Championship has done the state proud again by wining 4 medals.
The Director, Ogun State Sport Council, Mr. Faleti Adesola, who made this known while presenting the winners of the medals to the Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Mr. Afolabi Afuape, in his office in Abeokuta, said it was another great acheivment for the state.
He said the feat was not the first time Miss. Adesokan Dorcas, who won 2 gold and 1 bronze in the competition would be making the state proud in badminton as she also won gold medal in African Badminton Competition in South Africa in 2016 , adding that Miss.Ilori Aminat won a bronze in her first outing in the Championship.
Faleti explained that the acheivment was a great signal that could pave way for the state badminton team to participate in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
” Sir I want to appeal to you that the best way to keep Adesokan and Ilori as one of our best badminton players is to enrol them in the state employment for making the state proud as there performance is a big signal to participate in 2020 Olympic in Tokyo, ” Faleti said.
Responding, Afuape said the state had always been known to be first in every aspect of human endeavors particularly in sports , adding that the news reaching him was that one of the State Athletes, Miss. Yinka Bantefa in the ongoing National Athletic Trials(NAT) in ABUJA, also won a gold medal in 1,500 meter.
He promised to look into the employment issue for the two players who had made the state proud.
The commissioner said going to the Olympic was the main target of the state, adding that the state had enough athletes in any area of sporting activities to compete at any local or International competition.
” Despite the present economic situation that has affects major factors in the country, I want to say that hardly will you not see Ogun State in one competition or the other without coming out in flying colours.
CI want to assure you that the state will be well represented in the 2020 Olympic in Tokyo because that is our target, ” the commissioner said.